Come sail a tall ship!
Join our crew
and sail the dream aboard Schooner Huron Jewel.
Through hands-on work,
learn about sailing, navigation and seamanship.
Deckhand Internship Opportunities
For Spring and Summer 2019
March 2019 Update: We've filled our summer positions, but are always willing to keep applications on file.
Captain Hugh Covert and his First Mate Julie are looking for a few good folks to work side-by-side with them aboard Schooner Huron Jewel.
Job description: This deckhand internship is for one or two time periods/people for assistance with the spring rigging and the sailing of the tall ship Schooner Huron Jewel in 2019.
The deckhand will be responsible for a variety of duties involved in operating the tall ship. These duties include sail handling, navigation, rigging, greeting passengers and assuring their safety, handling dock lines, operating the push boat dinghy, food preparation, running errands, merchandise sales, maintenance (painting and varnishing), and cleaning the schooner.
Qualifications: Candidates will:
- be able to follow commands at a moment's notice.
- able to take directions and work with limited supervision.
- know how to tie a specific list of knots used in tall ship handling – list of knots and reference material will be sent upon acceptance to internship. Intern will need to be familiar with these knots upon start of internship.
- be comfortable going aloft.
- Experience with sailing and boating a plus, but not necessary.
- Enthusiasm and curiosity is a must.
- Must be comfortable with the public.
- Have a valid driver's license.
- Must have a passport and able to travel to Canada - summer intern.
- Must be able to pass a random USCG approved drug test.
Can be either male or female, minimum age of 18 and non-smoker.
Deckhands will receive in addition to an amazing intensive learning experience about tall ship sailing, free room and board, and tips. Additional pay commensurate with experience.
Accommodations will be both on the schooner and on a private 40 acre island off of Drummond Island, MI. Intern would share meals with us at the house and be expected to help with meal preparation and clean up. Intern would be responsible for keeping their living space tidy (one bedroom cabin next to main house), for their own laundry (clothes washer available at house), and any incidental expenses.
Intern(s) desired for May through September, dates flexible.
To apply send resume with three references and answer the following:
“Why do you want to be part of this tall ship experience?"
"What is your favorite book(s) and why?"