Intern with us.
Come sail a tall ship!
Join our crew
and sail the dream aboard Schooner Huron Jewel.
Through hands-on work,
learn about sailing, navigation and seamanship.
For Spring and Summer 2019
Captain Hugh Covert and his First Mate Julie are looking for a few good folks to work side-by-side with them aboard Schooner Huron Jewel.
Job description: This internship is for one or two time periods/people for assistance with the spring rigging and the sailing of the tall ship Schooner Huron Jewel in 2019.
The intern will be responsible for a variety of duties involved in operating the tall ship. These duties include sail handling, navigation, rigging, greeting passengers and assuring their safety, handling dock lines, operating the push boat dinghy, food preparation, running errands, merchandise sales, maintenance (painting and varnishing), and cleaning the schooner.
Qualifications: Intern candidates will:
- be able to follow commands at a moment's notice.
- able to take directions and work with limited supervision.
- know how to tie a specific list of knots used in tall ship handling – list of knots and reference material will be sent upon acceptance to internship. Intern will need to be familiar with these knots upon start of internship.
- be comfortable going aloft.
- Experience with sailing and boating a plus, but not necessary.
- Enthusiasm and curiosity is a must.
- Must be comfortable with the public.
- Have a valid driver's license.
- Must have a passport and able to travel to Canada - summer intern.
- Must be able to pass a random USCG approved drug test.
Intern can be either male or female, minimum age of 18 and non-smoker.
Intern will receive in addition to an amazing intensive learning experience about tall ship sailing, free room and board, and tips.
Accommodations will be both on the schooner and on a private 40 acre island off of Drummond Island, MI. Intern would share meals with us at the house and be expected to help with meal preparation and clean up. Intern would be responsible for keeping their living space tidy (one bedroom cabin next to main house), for their own laundry (clothes washer available at house), and any incidental expenses.
Requires a commitment of two weeks with possibility to extend internship upon mutual agreement.
Intern(s) desired for the Spring 2019 (May-June) and Summer 2019 (June - August/September) periods. Dates are flexible.
To apply send resume with three references and answer the following:
“Why do you want to be part of this tall ship experience?"
"What is your favorite book(s) and why?"