Come sail a tall ship!
Join our crew
and sail the dream aboard Schooner Huron Jewel.
Through hands-on work,
learn about sailing, navigation and seamanship.
Deckhand Crew Opportunities
For the 2020 Sailing Season
Captain Hugh Covert and his First Mate Julie are looking for a few good folks to work side-by-side with them aboard Schooner Huron Jewel.
Job description: This position is for two time periods for spring rigging, fall down-rigging and the sailing of the tall ship Schooner Huron Jewel in 2020.
Come sail with us! We offer a low pressure position, while still maintaining a well run business. There is a large amount of one-on-one interaction and experience with Capt. Hugh operating the schooner, so this is a great opportunity for someone wanting to really learn tall ship sailing.
Drummond Island Tall Ship Co requires a high level of professionalism in all aspects associated with this position including seamanship and customer relations.
The crew will work together to engage with and educate passengers on the history, geology and ecology of the area, as well as about various aspects of traditional sailing to help passengers enjoy their tall ship experience.
The deckhand will be responsible for a variety of duties involved in operating the tall ship. These duties include sail handling, navigation, rigging, greeting passengers and assuring their safety, handling dock lines, operating the push boat dinghy, food preparation, running errands, merchandise sales, maintenance (oiling, tarring, painting and varnishing), and cleaning the schooner.
Qualifications: Candidates will:
- be physically fit, energetic, hardworking, and will have an outgoing friendly demeanor.
- be able to follow commands at a moment's notice.
- able to take directions and work with limited supervision.
- know how to tie a specific list of knots used in tall ship handling – list of knots and reference material will be sent upon acceptance to internship. Intern will need to be familiar with these knots upon start of internship.
- be comfortable going aloft.
- be able to work long hours.
- Experience with sailing and boating a plus, but not necessary.
- Enthusiasm and curiosity is a must.
- Must be comfortable with the public.
- Have a valid driver's license.
- Must have a passport and able to travel to Canada - summer intern.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment USCG approved drug test.
Can be either male or female, minimum age of 18 and non-smoker.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Deckhands will receive in addition to an amazing intensive learning experience about tall ship sailing, free room and board, and tips. Additional pay available commensurate with experience.
Accommodations will be both on the schooner and on a private 40 acre island off of Drummond Island, MI. Crew share meals with us at the house and are expected to help with meal preparation and clean up. You are responsible for keeping your living space tidy (one bedroom cabin next to main house), for your own laundry (clothes washer available at house), and any incidental expenses.
Positions available May through October, and July through October - dates may be flexible.
To apply send resume with your contact information with three references, a recent photo and answer the following:
“Why do you want to be part of this tall ship experience?"
"What is your favorite book(s) and why?"